About Dr. Julian Whitaker
Dr. Julian Whitaker, a true pioneer and trusted authority of alternative medicine—as well as an author, lecturer, and founder of the Whitaker Wellness Institute—has spent more than 40 years helping people improve their quality of life by providing them with the knowledge and tools that engender health and wellness.
The Early Years.
Dr. Whitaker graduated from Dartmouth College and went on to earn his MD from Emory University. In 1974, along with four other doctors and two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling, Dr. Whitaker founded the California Orthomolecular Medical Society. Orthomolecular medicine is a form of alternative medicine, that aims to maintain human health through nutritional supplementation. In 1976, he joined the staff at the Pritikin Longevity Center, where he worked before opening the Whitaker Wellness Institute in 1979.
Health Care, Not Disease Care
Early in his medical career, an encounter with a patient inspired Dr. Whitaker to begin researching nutritional supplements and other natural therapies ignored by medical schools and most conventional physicians. As a result of his research and firsthand experiences, he quickly became convinced that natural therapies held potential for maintaining and restoring health.
Dr. Whitaker’s philosophy and treatment protocols involve a combination of therapeutic lifestyle changes, vitamins, and other targeted nutritional supplements, and additional cutting-edge natural therapies that work in tandem to jump-start the body’s innate healing ability. He believes that with the right guidance, education, and therapies, we are all capable of achieving optimal health and well-being and that no patient is too sick to improve his or her health.
Healing, Educating and Arming the Masses
In 1979, Dr. Whitaker founded the Whitaker Wellness Institute medical clinic and wellness center. Today, the Whitaker Wellness Institute is one of the oldest and largest providers of alternative health therapies in the United States.
More than 45,000 patients from around the world—many with serious, chronic illnesses who had been failed by conventional medicine—have participated in the clinic’s Back to Health Program, consisting of health education, meals, exercise, testing, and nutritional supplements.
Dr. Whitaker also routinely sees and treats patients with pain, cardiovascular concerns, and a wide range of age-related health problems.
A Champion of Health Freedom
Dr. Whitaker is an avid supporter and advocate of freedom of choice in medical care, including the right to use nutritional supplements and other natural therapies. Founder of the non-profit organization, Dr. Whitaker’s Freedom of Health Foundation, he has been on the forefront of this movement, fighting and winning numerous battles to protect our freedoms.
His successes include:
- Testifying at Congressional hearings in support of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA)
- Suing and winning the right to list truthful information on supplement labels, which had been unconstitutionally blocked by the Food and Drug Administration;
- Helping patients, newsletter subscribers, and other doctors who have been wrongfully persecuted for their health care choices and practices.
For these efforts, Dr. Whitaker has also won several awards for his contributions in this arena.
Some of the many awards include:
- Lifetime Achievement Award, International/American Association of Clinical Nutritionists, 2006
- 2001Presidential Commendation for Exemplary and Inspirational Achievement, American College for Advancement in Medicine, 1995
- Excellence in Nutrition Science Award, Emord & Associates, 2014
- First Amendment Hall of Fame Award, Emord & Associates, 2014
- Excellence in Integrative Medicine Award, Emord & Associates, 2014
- Pearson v. Shalala 1st Amendment Freedom Award, Emord & Associates.
Ref.1. Dr. Whitaker. Americas most trusted wellness Doctor. https://www.drwhitaker.com/about-dr-whitaker?icid=wht-hp-callout.Accessed 03/01/2018